For over 75 years, the USO has been the nation’s leading organization to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform. From the moment they join, through their assignments and deployments, and as they transition back to their communities, the USO is always by their side.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Manager, Direct Response is responsible for day to day execution of the USO direct mail and telemarketing strategies, maintaining internal awareness of budget to actual revenue and expense reporting and a key contributor to direct marketing growth objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
Vendor Management (30%):
- Acts a key project manager and liaison to direct mail and telemarketing vendors providing daily engagement and oversight over the execution of established direct marketing strategies and goals.
- Manages archival of existing vendor SOWs and contracts. Acts as key execution manager during SOW creation, amendment and extension periods; manages processes successfully to completion.
- Responsible for direct mail and telemarketing invoice budget tracking, ensuring that all invoices are correctly coded, submitted in timely manner and paid.
- Owns compliance and regulatory processes for the direct mail and telemarketing programs, partnering with internal departments as needed.
- In partnership with Development leadership and vendors, ensure integrity of mail plans and tactics comply with USO strategy and vision. When necessary, enforce strategy directly with vendors.
Program Execution (40%):
- Leads the internal package approval process; recommending enhancements to internal processes over time to ensure an efficient approval pipeline.
- In partnership with key strategic vendors, manage the direct mail and telemarketing appeal calendars, revising and optimizing throughout year to meet approved performance metrics.
- Contribute to and execute established direct response strategy across all channels.
- Ensure pipeline of aggressive package testing flows through internal and external processes.
- Leads direct mail package archive efforts and acts as key steward of historical direct mail records.
- Collaborate with internal colleagues to deliver a highly optimized and integrated fundraising program across all direct response and brand channels.
- Lead recurring internal and external meetings.
- Based on capacity, recommend, manage and pilot new fundraising channel investment efforts as directed by Development and USO leadership.
Marketing Performance Analysis (15%):
- In partnership with vertical management and key USO resources, build and maintain fiscal year revenue and donor file projections; reforecasting at key seasonal tollgates.
- Work with marketing agencies, reporting vendors and internal departments to create and synthesize direct mail package and telemarketing campaign performance. Make tactical recommendations where appropriate.
- Maintain accurate revenue and expense tracking against budgets.
- Ensure accurate and regular analysis of the USO direct response file health in partnership with reporting vendors and internal departments.
Marketing Technology and Operations (10%):
- Maintain strict vendor compliance of source code governance and management policies, ensuring appropriate testing of new codes and logic, driving innovation where needed.
- Make recommendations for enhancements and investments to data infrastructure including the Direct Marketing Database (DMDB).
- In partnership with key internal stakeholders and external vendors, ensure project management, pipeline and accuracy of DMDB Change Requests.
- Act as lead POC to the USO Donor Service team for all direct mail and telemarketing efforts and strategy.
- Develop working relationships with all supporting vendors and subcontractors completing regular assessment of work quality and service levels.
Other Duties as Assigned (5%):
- Professional development
- Mission immersion
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or related field.
- 5+ years’ work experience in a development or fundraising role. 2-4 years in a support role for a large Direct Response program with annual receipts in excess of $10MM or 3-5 years leading a Direct Response program with less than $2MM in annual receipts preferred. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Mail planning experience including prospecting list management, segmentation planning, revenue and expense modeling.
- Knowledge of regulatory standards governing direct mail, solicitation and telemarketing operations.
- Experience working with strategic vendors, print houses, letter shops, postage comingling processes, caging facilities, and knowledge of bulk, non-profit and business reply mail operations.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Working knowledge of basic business and accounting functions including project management and budgeting.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. Working knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.