• Report to the Director of Athletics, the Assistant Athletic Director will lead, plan, and establish strategies and measurable goals for Sports Information, in support of Purdue University Northwest athletics and institutional marketing efforts.
• Ensure an effective Sports Information presence at all home games and attend specified away games, ensuring effective coverage of game responsibilities, including records are maintained and statistics and highlights are compiled and transmitted to media, the NCAA and others after all games; after games, provide statistics to coaches of both teams and to the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) office, along with statistics and game highlights to media contacts; for sporting events not personally attended, receive information from coaches, format appropriately, and disseminate to the media; arrange for a professional photographer to cover selected games.
• Identify opportunities for and obtain local, regional and national media coverage of PNW athletics; maintain an active media network and regularly communicate with reporters, editors, producers and others about stories, pitches and other information, including follow-through ensuring coverage; manage and respond to all media inquiries and coordinate media interviews with the PNW coaching staff, student-athletes and others on an ongoing basis.
• Produce press releases for media and the web reporting on the PNW athletic results, programs, events and activities, as well as accomplishments by individual students and coaches; attend athletic-related events and interview individuals as appropriate; write, edit and format release copy; and oversee production and distribution of releases, including hometown media, as appropriate.
• Arrange for and supervise public address announcer during games, as needed.
• Implement sports publications, Web and other communication strategies supporting the University's athletic program, enrollment marketing and institutional marketing goals; coordinate photography, writing, layout, edits and dissemination of sports information publications, Web pages and e-communications, including weekly, seasonal and annual reports, previews and recaps for individual events; and coordinate printing, as necessary.
• Contribute to the development of other University collateral materials and online communications by providing sports updates, information and photos of people, events and facilities related to University athletics; identify subject matter, research and write sports-related feature stories for other Purdue PNW publications.
• Manage or assist in activities associated with organizing and conducting larger-scale athletic events, such as national competitions and Hall of Fame induction activities on the PNW campus
• Ensure that the Purdue University Northwest athletics website is maintained and updated. Serve as the managing editor of PNWathletics.com and social media outlets. Maintain, create, and distribute via facebook, twitter, and instragram, etc. information pertaining to Pride athletics. Produce department highlight and promotional videos to build brand awareness and showcase student athlete excellence.
• Develop and maintain all Sports Information department procedures, reports, updates and records of activity, as well as photo files in accordance with department procedures; archive historical Athletics information; compile and submit reporting forms for conference and national statistics leaders.
• Recruit, train and supervise student workers to perform office work and assist in recording statistical and other information at games, and direct student workers as assistants in maintaining records during games and compiling statistics after games.
• Keep informed of the latest advances in the field of sports information, including technology aspects.
• It can be expected that the individual in this position will work at times other than, or in addition to, normal business hours and days, including attendance at numerous evening and weekend athletic events, both at home and away. This is especially true during the period September through May.
• This position will also serve as promotions and marketing assistant to the Director of Athletics, with various duties as assigned. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Assist with all fundraising, marketing, promotions, ticketing and hospitality for athletics, summer camps and special events.
• Strategically plans and executes programming which increases charitable giving, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales, event attendance, student involvement, and public awareness.
• Significant assistance with projects related to institutional advancement via alumni relations, revenue generation and capital campaign are anticipated, such as the Powers/Purdue Northwest Golf Outing.
•Serve as Game Day event supervisor and coordinate support staff for home athletic events, to include:
• Scorer's Table - PA announcer, scoreboard and shot clock operators, official scorer, Stat Crew
• Halftime MC
• Halftime performers
• Spirit Squads
• Coordinate pregame, halftime, and postgame needs for game officials and visiting teams
•Perform other related duties and tasks as appropriately assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Bachelor's degree in Sports Management, Journalism, and Communications, Physical Education or related field is preferred. Master's degree is preferred. Two years work experience involving sports information, journalism, communication, promotions, marketing or related field. Media relations experience is preferred. Excellent communication, leadership, problem-solving, organizational, analytical, and customer service skills a must; must have strong and creative writing skills; must have ability to cultivate business relationships, and develop marketing/public relations strategies to shape programs; demonstrated ability to solve complex problems with little or no supervision is necessary; must have the ability to influence and build work relationships among a diverse workforce at all levels; must be able to use sound judgment and have attention to detail; must be able to multi-task, prioritize, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines; must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
Must have basic Microsoft Word and Excel skills and working knowledge using desktop publishing and internet; must have the ability to navigate databases and other computer programs (DakStats, StatCrew, Adobe Creative Suite, etc); must have the ability to maintain department website using Streamline Technologies or similar content management system; must have the ability to interpret and communicate university policy and procedures as well as other associated regulations; must be able to conduct self in a professional manner; must be available to work evenings and weekends; some travel required; must have integrity, commitment to men's and women's athletics and academic excellence.
We appreciate your interest in employment with Purdue Northwest (PNW)! You have taken the first step towards joining the PNW family. The work of our faculty and staff is central to providing the highest quality of instruction and service to our students. Purdue Northwest presents the opportunity to pursue your calling while making a difference in the lives of students, the campus community, and the Northwest Indiana region and beyond.